Belgium Toast Cannibal
Yup. Seriously. Belgium Toast Cannibal is what this is really called. I learned this from a new friend, when we got to talking (somehow) about steak tartare and how those in Belgium do it — mainly for those tend to turn up their noses at raw beef. I love the idea of Toast Cannibal. It really kind of puts this where it should be, but with a bit of humor and without the “tartare” hanging around to scare people off.
The meat filling has a basic combination of beef (use a really good lean steak tenderloin) with some shallot, mayonnaise, egg and capers. Add a little Worcestershire and a bit of red pepper sauce for just a small amount of bite and serve it on a good sourdough bread. Add a few cornichons and you’ve got a great appetizer.
This is really good if you’ve got very few other items in the appetizer department. It’s kind of filling and very delicious.
- 1 lb steak tenderloin
- 1 shallot
- 3 Tbsps. fresh mayonnaise
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 Tbsp. of chopped capers
- Red pepper sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley chopped 1 tsp.
- Sourdough bread, toasted
- Cornichons and onions for garnish
- Mince the beef finely and put into a bowl, adding the yolk only of one egg.
- Peel and mince the shallot add to the minced beef.
- Add the mayonnaise, chopped capers, and mix very well together.
- Add the red pepper sauce, Worcestershire to taste.
- Season with Salt, pepper and Parsley mix well.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate. Serve on a platter with toasted bread and the garnishes.