Chicken Wings With Molasses BBQ Sauce
It’s getting towards the end of summer and so we’re trying our best to get as many good grilling recipes done before the season is over. Earlier this week, we did the barbecue shrimp (which actually doesn’t really require a barbecue). But this time around, we’re going to try some out and out favorite chicken wings with molasses barbecue sauce. FYI, if you haven’t tried making chicken wings on the grill, you’re missing something wonderful. And the molasses sauce? It’s so amazing. Really, it’s like nothing I’ve ever come across.
Let’s start with the wings. This recipe started out as something we found in an old issue of Food and Wine (I believe) and it’s been modified a bit, but I can no longer figure out exactly what we did to it, but that said, it’s a terrific orange juice, lime marmalade that just really lights up the wings. And these are really made for grilling — they get a lovely charred color on the exterior and stay absolutely perfect inside. And the garlic powder at the end? Oh man, that’s good.
As for the molasses barbecue sauce, I’ve mentioned it here a few times, but I think it’s about time to actually publish it here. There are many such sauces around, but this one is one of my very favorite ones. It has all the things a deep thick molasses sauce should have, and with just a very light hint of chili, it’s just perfect for these wings. You really have to try this one. We just recently upgraded our BBQ, these rec tec mini reviews came in real handy and in the nick of time, we had a BBQ event upcoming when our old one broke on us.
So here are the wings recipe:
- 3 cups freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup sea salt or kosher salt
- 8 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp. black peppercorns
- 2 lemons, halved
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 5 1/2 pounds chicken wings
- 2 Tbsp. garlic salt
- 1 Tbsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. cayenne pepper
- In a large pot, combine 1 quart of water with the orange juice and lime juice, salt, smashed garlic, sugar, soy sauce, oregano, peppercorns, lemon halves and cumin and bring to a boil. Let the marinade cool to room temperature.
- Add the chicken wings to the marinade, cover and refrigerate for 14 to 16 hours.
- Light a grill. In a small bowl, combine the garlic salt with the black pepper and cayenne. Remove the chicken wings from the marinade and pat them dry with paper towels. Sprinkle the wings with the seasoning salt and grill over moderately high heat, turning often, until charred and cooked through, about 30 minutes.
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsulfured blackstrap molasses
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- 2 Tbsp. yellow mustard
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 2 medium Anaheim chili peppers
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. hot sauce
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Pinch of ground allspice
- In a medium saucepan, combine all of the ingredients except the salt with 1/2 cup of water and bring to a boil, stirring well. Let cool and season with salt.