Ghormeh Sabzi – Persian Green Stew
So. Is this really ghormeh sabzi? The truth is, I don’t know, but I doubt that it’s the real thing — at least as far as my few Persian friends might think. That said, this is a Persian green stew, and it comes out with all the lamb and herbal essence you might look for in a good stew. So have at it folks. This is a winner, even if it’s not all that authentic.
Apart from the typical lamb, onions, herbs, they key ingredients, as is often the case with Persian dishes, is the dried limes. You need these and their easy enough to get on Amazon and probably some other places. You can’t have a Persian dish like this one, without the limes, and no, fresh limes aren’t the same thing. Not by any stretch. They add a nice little slightly sour taste to the stew that I’ve never encountered anywhere else.
This recipe works really well over ordinary white rice and uses lamb shoulder, which generally is pretty inexpensive, at least as lamb goes.
- 2 lbs boneless lamb stewing meat (cut into 3/4-inch cubes)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup cooking oil
- 1 tsp. garlic
- 1 tsp. fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 6 dried limes
- 3/4 cup kidney bean ( canned is fine)
- 1 large potato, diced
- black pepper
- 1 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups spinach, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- Fry onion over medium heat in half of the oil until golden.
- Add turmeric, garlic, fenugreek seeds and fry for 2 more minutes.
- Increase heat, add meat cubes and stir over high heat until meat changes color and begins to turn brown.
- Reduce heat.
- Add water, drained kidney beans, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and simmer gently for about an hour or until meat is tender.
- Cook potatoes over high heat until lightly browned.
- Add to sauce, leaving oil in the pan.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add prepared vegetables to frying pan and cook over medium heat until wilted.
- Add to sauce, then add dried limes, cover and simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning and serve with white rice.