Lemon Garlic Shrimp Alfredo
This lemon and garlic shrimp Alfredo is, believe it or not, a great Christmas dish around our house, in part because you can still get some very good shrimp this late in the year. And there really isn’t any reason I can think of to have a nice lemon garlic and cheesy Alfredo sauce just about any time of the year. Period.
The dish starts with a garlic lemony Alfredo sauce, which is nothing but butter, garlic, cream, a little lemon juice and zest, and cheese. And apart from waiting for the cream to reduce a good bit, there really isn’t much to make it. The shrimp I like to fry in some pancetta and (a little more) garlic, which takes only a little time, as well. (You can serve the pancetta with the shrimp or not — your call.)
Add a little fettuccine and your done. It’s a very nice, quick fix dinner or as a small plate for lunch.
- Zest from 1 fresh lemon
- 2 lemons, juice of, fresh
- 1/4 cup butter (1 stick)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1/2 cup Romano cheese, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds shrimp, pealed and tails left
- 1/2 pound pancetta
- Make the fettuccine and when it's ready, set aside to drain.
- Zest a lemon using a zester or a fine grater; set aside.
- Juice two lemons with a citrus reamer or juicer; set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt butter and add the garlic with cream and boil until the cream is reduced by half.
- Add fresh lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Stir in Parmesan and Romano cheese for 1-2 minutes; remove from heat.
- Sprinkle with black pepper and salt to taste.
- While the sauce is being prepared, fry up the pancetta in a pan (maybe with a small amount of olive oil), then add the garlic and cook for about a minute.
- Add the shrimp and let it cook for two to three minutes per side.
- To assemble, add the fettuccine to a bowl, followed by the Alfredo sauce, then top with the shrimp.