Shrimp and Rice Noodle Salad
Here’s a great way to refresh your day with a very nice shrimp and rice noodle salad. It takes only a little time to make and it has just about everything you can ask for — shrimp, asparagus, some carrots and some mushrooms, all done over the fantastic rice noodles. You really can’t beat this dish.
I believe the original for this came probably from the food channel, but for a number of reasons, I really didn’t have a grill handy, so I just simply gave the shrimp its bit of marinade and finished it in a very nice hot saute pan. Worked just as well as the grill, and unless you’re really into that smoked taste, I’d say they’re about equal. Like the man sometimes says: Use what you’ve got.
The rest of the salad is pretty easy.
- 14 oz. flat rice noodles
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup fish sauce
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 tsp. Sriracha chili sauce
- 1 pound medium-large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 medium bunch asparagus, trimmed
- 5 oz. shiitake mushrooms, trimmed
- 1 medium carrot, cut into thin small rounds
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the noodles and cook as the label directs; drain and rinse with cold water.
- Meanwhile, whisk the lime juice, fish sauce, brown sugar, garlic, chili sauce and 1/3 cup water in a medium bowl. Transfer 1/4 cup of the marinade to another bowl and toss with the shrimp. Toss another 1/4 cup marinade with the asparagus and mushrooms in a third bowl. Let the shrimp and vegetables marinate 10 minutes at room temperature. Toss the noodles with the remaining marinade.
- Heat saute pan to high. Grill the shrimp, asparagus, carrot rounds and mushrooms until the shrimp is just cooked through and the asparagus is slightly tender, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Halve the mushrooms and cut the asparagus into pieces.
- Divide the noodles among bowls and top with the shrimp, asparagus, carrots, mushrooms, and cilantro.