Special Lamb Tagine
A lamb tagine is always a special treat around our house, but this time around, I’m happy to say that I now have a new Instant Pot and so we have a new dish and a new pot and, well, here goes…
So let’s start with the Instant Pot. I’ve had my eyes on a pressure cooker of some kind for quite a while now, and then a friend showed me this pot and I was hooked. First, it does the pressure cooking very well and that’s really the reason for having one. On the other hand, you can use it to saute meat, make rice and I’m just learning how to do a whole bunch of other things, too. It’s going to be fun.
This first time out, I wanted to do something I could challenge the machine to do well and to have something I’ve done in a traditional way, just so I could compare the two and compare the two dishes. That’s where the lamb tagine comes in. It’s a traditional kind of simple lamb dish with onions, prunes and a whole lot more and, I’m happy to say, the dish comes out about as perfectly as I could imagine. The big difference? Instead of taking a whole afternoon to make the recipe, it turned out in under thirty minutes or so.
Instant pot wins this one, for sure!
Around 2-3 pounds lamb shoulder, cut into pieces
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. ginger (fresh)
1 tsp. turmeric powder
1 tsp. cumin powder
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 onions, roughly sliced
10 oz. prunes, soaked in water
1 bay leaf
1 cup vegetable stock
1 cinnamon stick
3 Tbsp. honey
salt and pepper
- Place the dried prunes in a bowl with boiling water and set aside.
- Set the cooker to saute and when hot, add the olive oil and onions and cook until softened, then add the garlic and cook a minute more.
- Remove the garlic and onions and add the meat, cooking until brown.
- Deglaze the pan with vegetable stock, then add the garlic, onions, bay leaf cinnamon, ginger, turmeric, cumin and cinnamon stick.
- Close the lid on the pot, switch to manual mode and use the timer to set for about 30 minutes.
- Use the pressure release to remove the pressure, add the prunes and again using saute, cook for about 5 minutes more.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and the end and serve.